Yaki Udon is Japanese dish of thick, smooth, white udon noodles stir fried with tender meat slices like beef, pork and/or chicken with vegetables such as carrots, spring onions, onions and ginger over sweet soy sauce mixture. Basically, a similar dish to Yakisoba cooked in a similar manner using different noodles. This dish is popular in Japan’s izakaya’s or pubs where it is served as a late-night snack or a hangover cure.
This dish believed to have originated in Kokura, Fukuoka Prefecture in Japan after the Pacific War. History states that this dish was an improvised version of yakisoba hence it was usually prepared on noodle restaurants where yakisoba is served, since food was scarce during those days, soba noodles might be unavailable and was replaced by udon.
Udon or Soba, both are equally amazing dish, they just differ on texture, udons tend to be slimy and bouncy so if you prefer that feel then this dish is for you.
- 400 g rump steak beef, sliced into strips
- 400 grams udon noodles (I used the frozen ones)
- 3 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- In a bowl combine all marinade ingredients. Add beef to marinade, mix well to coat everything, let it stand in room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy wok heat oil in high heat until it smokes. Add beef in batches and flash fry beef pieces for 3 to 4 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove the beef from the pan then set aside.
- Add lower heat more oil in your wok if needed then sauté garlic, ginger and onion, sauté for a minute.
- Pour all sauce ingredients then add the noodles in its frozen state, spring onions and carrots, lower heat to medium, cover the wok. Let the noodles defrost and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the cover, stir fry the noodles to distribute sauce evenly.
- Add the beef back and stir fry for one more minute.
- Turn heat off then serve.