Filipino Cocido is a Spanish inspired soup dish of slow cooked meats usually pork, chicken and beef alongside sausages, beans, banana and vegetables.
- In a large soup pot heat oil then brown beef shanks, pork ribs and pork bacon hock on all sides. Remove from pot then set it aside.
- Add more oil if needed then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add peppercorns then put the browned meats back, pour water just enough to cover all the meat. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 1 hour. After the first hour add the chorizo de bilbao continue to simmer for 1 more hour. If water levels is too low add more water.
- Add the saba bananas cook for 15 more minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, cabbage and green beans then cook for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.