Ampalaya con Carne is a Filipino dish prepared with tender beef pieces stir fried with ampalaya (bitter gourd) with oyster sauce and soy sauce.
- 500 g beef tenderloin, cut in thin strips
- 1 large or 2 small pcs bitter gourd, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pc shallot, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- peanut oil
- sesame oil
- In a large bowl mix cornstarch, 2 tbsp Chinese wine, salt and baking soda, add beef, mix making sure it is coated with the cornstarch mixture. Set aside.
- Heat up the wok in high heat add oil and sauté garlic and shallots.
- Add the beef and quickly stir fry for 3 minutes in batches. Remove from wok then set it aside.
- Add the bitter gourd and 1/4 cup of water, cover the wok and let it cook for 2 minutes or until the water evaporates.
- Add the beef back, stir.
- Mix together water, tapioca starch, oyster sauce, soy sauce and Chinese wine. Pour mixture into the wok, mix to evenly distribute sauce and bring to a boil then then turn heat off. Serve.