There are many ways to skin a cat like there are many ways to make chicken soup, there is a lot, so many even the small variations make it look alike, like our post today which I know you might have guessed it looks like Tinolang Manok, same as Kinamayunggang Manok, Pinatisang Manok, Pesang Manok, Halang Halang na Manok, Binakol na Manok, Hinalog na Manok or even Inampalayahang Manok. While they almost look similar to each other they taste so differently due to the ingredient it features like our dish today which features lemongrass, lemon peel and lemon juice which makes it taste fresh and cleaner as it just cuts to the grease from the chicken as well as the sautéing process. Another simple dish, like most Filipino soups, it’s just a simple sauté, add meat and water then wait.
- In a pot heat oil and sauté garlic, onions and ginger. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes in high heat browning all sides.
- Add chicken stock, lemongrass and lemon peel, bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes, if you are not using free range 25 minutes would be enough.
- Add spinach and lemon juice, cover and simmer for 1 more minute.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground pepper.