Beef Rib and Meatball Stew or T’fina Pkaila is a Tunisian dish prepared with beef ribs, meatballs, Spinach, white beans and onions.
- 700 g beef ribs
- 250 g baby spinach
- 400 g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 500 g minced beef, 15% fat
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- olive oil
- Prepare your meatballs, in a bowl combine all meatball ingredients apart from olive oil. Form into meatballs then set aside.
- In a pan heat olive oil then cook meatball until browned all over. Remove from pan then set it aside.
- Generously season ribs with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a pot heat oil then brown beef ribs on all sides. Remove from pot then set aside.
- Add garlic and onions to the pot then sauté in low heat until onions caramelize.
- Add the ribs back and pour the beef stock, bring to a boil then simmer in low heat for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and cook for 20 more minutes in low heat.
- Add the beans and spinach then continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.