Soup Joumou or Haitian Beef and Pumpkin Soup is a famous mildly spicy soup native to Haitian cuisine prepared with beef, pumpkin, potato, plantains and vegetables such as parsley, carrots, green cabbage, celery and onions.
- 3 pcs beef shanks, roughly 600 g
- 700 g beef brisket, cubed
- 1 butternut squash, roughly 800 g, peeled and cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 parsley sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 stalk leek, thinly sliced
- 6 pcs whole cloves
- 2 pcs Scotch bonnet chillies, finely chopped
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp butter
Epis (Haitian Seasoning Base)
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 red small onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped parsley leaves with tender stems
- 4 pcs basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Place all Epis ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Remove then set aside.
- In a bowl place the beef shanks and beef brisket then pour the white vinegar. Mix it well making sure the vinegar is evenly distributed to the meat. Place beef in the colander then rinse it with running cold water.
- Place meat in a large bowl, pour Epis seasoning then let the it marinate overnight.
- In a large soup pot add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add leeks and celery then continue to sauté for a minute.
- Add the marinated beef let it sizzle then add the butternut squash and pour beef stock, bring it to a boil then let it simmer for 1 1/2 hrs.
- At this stage squash should be disintegrated and combined with the soup if there are remaining solid squash mash it with the back of a spoon.
- Add potatoes, carrots, cabbage, cloves, chillies, parsley and thyme spring, continue to cook for 30 minutes. Add water if necessary.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, place butter on top, squeeze lime on top then serve.
Amazing Haitian Beef and Pumpkin Soup recipe. I liked it a lot.