Taiwanese Braised Cabbage with Shrimp, Chilies and Shiitake Mushrooms
If you think vegetables are boring then you haven’t tried this dish yet, it’s one of the tastiest vegetable dishes you will ever try, just imagine dried chillies, shrimps, powdered dried shrimps and dried shiitake mushrooms, this flavour combination is very potent which livens up the usual boring cabbage. Great as a side dish with rice and other meat dishes, we paired it with dried adobo and it felt like it’s a match made in heaven.
Usually big flat head cabbage is used on this dish, other variants can also be used if you cannot find big flat head. So, varieties like Cannonball, Napa or Savoy cabbage can be used. Though I heavily suggest flat head due to its mild tasting, very sweet, tender texture and short core.
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic and chillies.
- Add powdered shrimp and shiitake mushrooms the continue to stir fry for a minute.
- Add the cabbage and chopped shrimps then stir fry for a minute in high heat.
- Pour ½ cup of the mushroom soaking liquid, cover the wok then cook in high heat for 4 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and white pepper, give it a good mix to distribute the sauce evenly, remove from wok then serve.