Asado de Carajay is a Filipino braised beef dish in a wok cooked together with soy sauce, bay leaves, peppercorns, calamansi, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, and carrots.
- 1 1/2 kg beef brisket (20% fat, one block or large strips)
- 200 g chorizo, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 3 cups beef stock
- 4 pcs tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 onions, chopped
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Season beef brisket with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grill beef brisket on a prepared charcoal grill until lightly charred on all sides. This will take 5-10 minutes on each side. Remove beef from the grill, let it cool the slice it into cubes, set it aside together with its juices.
- In a large wok heat olive oil then sauté onions and garlic.
- Add chorizo and carrots then continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and its juices, paprika, chopped tomatoes, beef stock and bay leaves bring to a boil, cover then let it simmer for 2 hours in low heat. Check liquid level and add water if necessary.
- While beef is simmering, fry potatoes until cooked and lightly brown. Set it aside.
- Back to the beef, add tomato paste, cooked potatoes and capsicum then continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, turn off heat then serve.