Beef Cheeks in Red Wine Casserole is a dish of slowly cooked beef cheeks in red wine, celery, carrots and onions until its fork tender.
- Generously season beef cheeks with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place a Dutch oven on stove top, add oil then once it’s very hot place the seasoned beef cheeks and sear each side until brown.
- Push the beef cheeks on the side then sauté onions and garlic.
- Add carrots and celery the continue to sauté vegetables
- Pour in the wine and beef stock then add the thyme, rosemary and tomato paste. Cover then bring it to a boil then turn the heat off.
- Place into the 160C preheated oven then cook for 1 hour.
- Turn the beef cheeks to its other side then reduce heat to 135C then braise for 3 to 3½ hours or until meat is really tender. On each hour while you are braising turn the beef cheeks to the other side to ensure cooking and flavours are well distributed, also check the liquid levels adding water if needed or it starts to dry out.
- Remove it from the oven, place the beef cheeks on a separate container.
- Place the Dutch oven on a stove top, remove the herb sprigs then reduce the sauce to a thick consistency, using a hand blender, blend to make gravy. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Return the lamb leg to the Dutch oven, spoon some sauce over the top then serve.