Rellenong Bangus is a Filipino dish of Milkfish stuffed with minced milkfish meat, carrots, potato, raisins, capsicum, pickles and spices.
- 1 big milkfish (bangus)
- 1 small carrot, chopped into small cubes
- 1 small potato, chopped into small cubes
- 1 small red capsicum, chopped into small cubes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp pickle relish
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- Prepare your milkfish, make sure it is scaled and uncut before starting. Cut an opening on the fish head on the bottom of the gill section retaining the top bit so the head is still connected to the body. Using a spatula first remove the organs gently making sure the bile does not pop open as this will impart a bitter taste. Once that is removed gently run through the spatula to separate the skin from the flesh. Once you can feel the flesh is free push it out of the cavity or get a thong or plier to pull it out, you might need to secure the skin while doing this.
- Once the flesh is out, clean and rinse it with running tap water, drain then marinate it with the marinade ingredients, set it aside.
- Discard organs, cut the fish meat in smaller pieces then place it in a steamer. Steam until fish meat is cooked.
- Debone and flake the fish meat then set it aside.
- In a pan heat oil then sauté garlic and shallots.
- Add carrots and potatoes then cook for 5 minutes in medium low heat.
- Add capsicum then cook for 2 minutes.
- Add fish meat, raisins, pickle relish, soy sauce and tomato paste then cook for 2 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then remove from the pan and place in a large bowl.
- Mix in the flour and egg, make sure it’s well blended.
- Fill the prepared milkfish skin with this mixture then place it in a baking paper. Brush both side with oil then bake in a 180C preheated oven for 12-15 minutes on each side or until skin is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let is cool down for 5 minutes, cut into sections then serve.
I like trying out different veggies to put for this bangus recipe. Sometimes I even try air frying it just for fun haha