Cheesy Seafood Tteokbokki
My daughter loves Cheese and Tteokbokki, I love seafood and mixing these elements brings us to this dish that we have today the Cheesy Seafood Tteokbokki, a dish prepared like a normal Tteokbokki but loaded with seafood like prawns, squid, scallops and surimi, it is then finished off with quickmelt cheese and mozzarella in the oven for a gooey toasted topping.
A casserole that is a celebration of flavours, spicy, hot, sweet, savoury and creamy all at the same time, add to that the taste of seafood and mildly salty cheese, it is definitely a party for your taste buds. Its Korean (tteok and gochujang), its Italian (mozzarella), its American (quick melt/Velveeta), its Japanese (dashi), it’s a wonderful confusion of everything.
- 350 g Tteok for Tteokbokki (Korean rice cake)
- 175 g fish cake, sliced
- 6 pcs large prawns
- 2 pcs medium squid, pineapple cut
- 6 pcs scallops
- 100 g surimi, sliced
- 2½ cups dashi stock
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup grated quick melt, processed or Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil, add rice cake and soak it for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- In a large pan combine dashi stock, gochujang, soy sauce and brown sugar, bring it to a boil.
- Drain rice cakes then add into the boiling sauce, reduce heat to low then cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice cakes, prawns, squid, scallops and surimi and cook for 5 more minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, stir in the spring onions.
- Top with cheese then place in a 200C preheated oven then bake until top turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven then serve.