Bacon Potato Corn Chowder is a type of thickened soup prepared with bacon, corn, potatoes, milk and cream.
- 600 g potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 300 g streaky bacon, chopped
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 6 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 4 tbsp butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- grated cheese, to garnish
- spring onions, to garnish
- In a pot add 1 tbsp butter, melt in low heat then brown bacon pieces. Once crispy remove bacon from pot set it aside leaving the oil in the pot.
- Add the remaining butter then sauté garlic and shallots, cook in low heat until shallots are soft. Add the flour then cook until it forms a roux.
- Gently add broth while mixing, once all added and liquid is even in consistency pour in the milk.
- Add the potatoes, corn, thyme, nutmeg, bring to a slow boil then simmer in low heat for 30 minutes. Occasionally stir to prevent bottom from burning or sticking.
- Add the cream, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Turn heat off, place in bowl then serve garnished with crispy bacon, grated cheese and spring onions.