Pork Leg, Lentil, Peas and Bean Stew is an Ang Sarap original recipe of slowly cooked pork leg in a soup of dried peas, beans, lentils and spinach.
- 1 1/2 pork leg and trotters, cut into sections
- 375 g mixed dried beans (red bean, white bean, lentils, peas, chickpeas)
- 1 large bunch spinach
- water or chicken stock
- 3 pcs shallots, minced
- 1 whole garlic, smashed
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Generously season pork legs and trotters with salt and freshly ground black pepper, set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pot heat oil then brown pork legs and trotters on all sides. Remove from pot then set aside.
- Using the same pot sauté garlic and shallots.
- Put the pork legs and trotters back in, pour enough water or stock to cover the meat then bring to a boil, simmer in low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the dried bean then continue to simmer for 1 hour, mixing every 15 minutes making sure the beans don’t burn at the bottom of the pot.
- Add the spinach leaves, season with fish sauce if needed and freshly ground black pepper. Serve.