Inampalayahang Manok in many ways is like tinola both starts with sautéed garlic, onions and tons of ginger before chicken is slightly browned and cooked in a broth the only big difference is the vegetables used because tinola uses young papaya and chilli leaves while Inampalayahang Manok uses bitter gourd and tomatoes. They are like sibling’s same DNA but different traits, one is nice and another one is naughty where both gives you the same satisfaction but in different ways.
Inampalayahang Manok has this unique bitter taste like pinapaitan, it’s not as bad as you think, and the taste is pleasant, perfectly blending well will all other ingredients, trust me it’s not as strong as ginisang ampalaya So, if you are looking for a hangover soup then this can be the healthy alternative to the Bulalo.
- Generously season chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Coat bitter gourd with salt then set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pot heat oil then brown chicken pieces on all sides. Remove from pot then set aside.
- Using the same pot sauté garlic, onions and ginger.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Place the chicken back into the pot then pour enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse bitter gourd in running water, removing all the salt on the surface. Add it into the pot then cook for 10 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper then serve while hot.