Menudo Sulipeña is a type of Filipino stew prepared with slow-simmered oxtails with ham, Chorizo, chickpeas and capsicum in a tomato-based sauce.
- 1 1/2 kg oxtails
- 1/2 cup bacon scraps
- 150 g chorizo, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cubed
- 1 large carrots, cubed
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 whole garlic, pounded
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season oxtails with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a deep heavy bottomed pot add olive oil then brown oxtails on all sides. Remove from pot then set aside.
- In the same pot add olive oil if necessary then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the bacon scraps and chorizo, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste then cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the oxtails back, include the chopped tomatoes, paprika and dried chilli flakes. Pour enough water to cover the meat then bring to a boil, lower the heat then simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Add capsicum, carrots, chickpeas and tomato paste then continue to simmer for 30 more minutes or until meat is fork tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, add the brandy, give it a good mix then serve.