Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken is a type of breaded cutlet prepared with chicken breasts, don’t get it confused with Chicken Parmesan as that’s a totally different dish. While both consists of breaded chicken, Chicken Parmesan is just breaded and cheeses are just added together with the sauce unlike Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken where it is combined with the breading then pan fried. Breaded cutlets is quite an old recipe and it is quite popular in different countries where it is called by many names like Schnitzel in Germany, Cotoletta in Italy, Escalope in France, Filete Empanado in Spain, Katsu in Japan and Korea and Kotlet in Poland.
There are also many variations of this dish, some of the popular ones are Chicken fingers, Chicken Kiev, Cordon Bleu and Scaloppine to name some, in which these breaded meats are either filled with other ingredients and/or served with sauce, like our post today where the chicken is infused with cheesy pungent goodness!
- In a bowl combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Cut chicken breasts in half diagonally. Flatten it further by pounding it with the back of the knife.
- Season with garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, chilli flakes and salt. Set aside.
- Dip chicken in egg then in to the breadcrumbs, repeat until all the chicken cutlets are covered
- Melt butter in a large non-stick pan then once hot cook chicken breasts for 5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy. Serve.