Tebasaki Fried Chicken is a Japanese style double fried chicken glazed in a sweet, sour and savoury sauce made with soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar.
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted black and white sesame seeds
- Season chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper, place in a plate then refrigerate it at least two hours before cooking. We need to make the skin dehydrate to make it crispy.
- Before cooking the chicken prepare your sauce. Place all sauce ingredients in a saucepan apart from the vinegar and sesame seeds. Bring to a boil in medium heat, once its boiling add the vinegar and sesame seeds. Remove from heat then let it cool.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge, using a paper towel dry out extra moisture. Prepare large pan, fill it with oil for deep frying, heat to 160C.
- Coat chicken with potato starch then deep fry for 10 minutes in batches if your pan is small. Set aside chicken and let it cool.
- Once the chicken has cooled down heat back the pan with oil to 190C then deep fry chicken for the second time for 3 minutes or until its golden brown. Remove from pan drain excess oil then just before serving glaze it with the sauce you prepared earlier. Serve.