Miso Nikomi Udon
Miso Nikomi Udon is a type of Donabe that contains udon, chicken, kamaboko, mushroom, negi, deep fried tofu and egg served on a miso infused dashi broth. Unlike most udons where it is served on a clear broth this one is quite out of the norm since this Nagoya specialty uses Hatcho miso as its seasoning, a unique miso that is tastier than Aka Miso (Red Miso) giving it a bolder flavour and slightly reddish broth.
Like all Donabe this dish is a one pot complete meal where you have all your food groups represented, vegetables, protein and carbohydrates. It is a very hearty umami filled dish that you can enjoy during cold weather season, like from where I am now, I know in the Northern Hemisphere it is getting warmer but there is no stopping you to enjoy a good bowl of this dish.
- In a hot pot bring to a boil dashi stock, add chicken and white part of the spring onions, simmer in low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the mirin and miso, mix well and make sure there are no miso chunks.
- Add udon, tofu puff and shiitake, increase heat to medium then cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the kamaboko and the rest of the spring onions, add the eggs carefully on top. Lower heat then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat then serve on individual bowls.