Chicken Curry Laksa
In Malaysia and Singapore this is called “Laksa Lemak” also known as Nyonya Laksa, basically a type of laksa served with a rich coconut gravy, slightly sweet and strongly spiced. Traditionally the stock is made with a fish-based gravy but modern versions like this Chicken Curry Laska recipe today is prepared with chicken. Curry Laksa’s main ingredients include bean curd puffs and protein like chicken or fish, the puffs act as a sponge to absorb all of that delicious gravy. Usually yellow noodles or bee hoon is used.
Spices used on this dish usually is a ground paste of mixed turmeric, coriander, candlenut, lemongrass, galangal, garlic, shallot, and pepper which gives it that distinctive fragrance and mildly spicy flavour. It may scare those ones who are beginners in cooking or those who wants to have a quick meal, and if that is the case there are ready made pastes available in some supermarkets and mostly all Asian groceries which makes it easier for you to prepare one.
With this dish everything you need is in one bowl, protein, carbs and a bit of vegetable, it’s an all in one dish. Definitely very hearty, really flavourful and a good comfort dish.
- 500 g chicken thighs, cut into sections
- 300 g deep fried tofu
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 500 ml prawn stock
- 100 g beansprouts
- 4 boiled eggs sliced in half
- lime or lemon slices
- thick yellow noodles or wide rice noodles
- coriander, to garnish
- crispy fried shallots, to garnish
- fish sauce
- 4 medium red chillies, chopped and seeds removed
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 4 shallots, peeled
- 2 stems of lemon grass, outer layer removed and chopped
- 1 tsp galangal, chopped
- 4 pcs candlenut
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp water
- Gather all the paste ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend the ingredients until it forms a paste.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions.
- In a separate pot add oil and the paste, stir fry for in medium heat until fragrant. Add chicken then lightly brown it on all sides.
- Add chicken stock, prawn stock and fish sauce (according to your taste) then bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Place the noodles in a bowl then pour laksa gravy. Mix in the beansprouts while gravy is hot.
- Top with sliced egg per bowl, deep fried tofu, coriander, crispy fried shallots and freshly squeezed lime juice.