Batso nga Tabungao is a vegetable dish prepared with bottle ground and small shrimps sautéed together with garlic, onions, tomato and annatto.
- In a deep pan add oil then lightly toast shrimp shells and head. Once toasted add 2 cups of water bring it to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Let it cool down.
- Place in a food processor then pulse for a few seconds but do not chop it in very small pieces.
- Using a slotted spoon, press the shells to extract more juices then run it through a fine sieve to get a clean stock, set aside the stock.
- Using the same pan, add oil then sauté garlic and onions for 2 minutes in low heat.
- Add the tomatoes then continue to sauté until tomatoes are soft.
- Bring heat to high, add the upo then stir fry for a minute the pour the reserved stock together with the diluted annatto powder. Simmer in high heat, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimps, continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper, turn off heat then serve.