Ayam Bakar is a dish of charcoal-grilled chicken marinated in kecap manis, coconut oil, shallot, garlic, chilli pepper, coriander, tamarind juice, candlenut, turmeric and galangal.
- 4 pcs whole chicken thighs with legs
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup kecap manis
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white part and pounded
- 1 inch galangal, pounded
- 4 pcs kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tsp palm sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 7 pcs shallots
- 1 birds eye chilli
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- In a food processor place all spice paste ingredients together, process until it becomes a paste and smooth in consistency. Set aside.
- In a large wok add oil then sauté the spice paste for 5 minutes or until fragrant on medium low heat, add all the braising liquid ingredients, bring heat to high until the mixture boils, turn heat back to medium low then add the chicken in one layer making sure it is coated with the sauce. Cover the wok then cook for 20 minutes then turn the heat off, turn it over then leave the chicken for an hour to soak in this sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce, set it aside.
- Continue to simmer the sauce in medium heat until it is reduced. Set is aside.
- Using a charcoal grill slowly grill your chicken for 15 to 20 more minutes while continuously basting with the sauce and turning it over frequently to avoid burning. Remove from grill then serve with rice.