Bonchon Chicken is a Korean Style double-fried chicken which gives it an extra crunch even with that sweet savoury glaze that coats it.
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups potato starch
- toasted white sesame seeds
- Season chicken wings with ginger, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place potato starch in a large container that you can cover. Now add the chicken one by one separated from each other as much as possible, if you have a small container do this in batches. Cover the container, then vigorously shake it to coat chicken pieces inside. Remove from container then set aside, let it cool and leave the fryer on.
- Prepare your deep fryer or any deep pot or pan filled with oil. Heat to 180C then deep fry chicken for 8 minutes, remove from fryer and place on a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Prepare your glaze, in a saucepan add a bit of oil then sauté garlic and onions. Add the remaining ingredients together apart from the corn-starch then bring it to a boil. Add diluted corn-starch then continue to simmer sauce until it thickens.
- Deep fry your chicken for the second time, this time for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from oil then place in a large bowl, drizzle sauce on chicken then toss it to coat with glaze. Remove from bowl then place on a serving platter then sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Serve.