Spicy Apricot-Glazed Barbecue Pork Ribs is a slow smoked pork barbecue pork ribs continously basted with spicy apricot sauce
- 2 kg pork spare ribs, with excess fat
- 500 ml apple juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cups smoking wood
- 1 1/2 cups apricot preserves or jam
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp jalapeño pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- In a sauce pan heat oil then sauté onions for 5 minutes in low heat.
- Add garlic then continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients then bring to slow boil, simmer for 15 minutes in really low heat.
- Using a hand blender, puree the sauce then turn heat off. Taste then season with salt and freshly ground pepper according to your liking. Remove from heat, let it cool.
- Mix all dry rub ingredients together then set aside.
- Prepare your ribs by removing the white membrane, do not trim excess fat, this will help with the moisture.
- Coat the ribs with the dry rub then place in a smoker or if you don’t have a smoker, use a grill with a top rack. I am using the latter.
- Pour apple juice and lemon in a spray bottle.
- Place wood chips in an aluminium foil or a small aluminium tray, place on the grill. Heat up the barbie to 110C and let wood chips smoke, once it smokes push the aluminium container with chips to the flat plate side of the grill. Place the meat on the top rack, rib side down then slowly smoke the ribs for 4-5 hours, spray with the apple juice mixture once in a while preferably every 30 minutes so it does not dry out. When the meat is tender baste the rack with the prepared sauce then continue to smoke for 15 minutes, baste again the continue for another 15 minutes. Remove from the grill, slice then serve.