Carne Frita is an Ilonggo dish prepared by thin strips of beef fried and drenched in a sauce made with soy sauce, onions, garlic, calamansi, sesame oil and a bit of sugar.
- In a bowl combine all marinade ingredients together, add the beef making sure marinate is evenly distributed then let it marinate overnight.
- Remove 1 hour from the fridge before cooking.
- Drain beef of the marinade, you will need to squeeze the meat so it does not have excess liquid. Reserve the liquid then set aside.
- Prepare a wok, add oil enough to cover the surface then place on a very high heat. Once it starts to smoke add the beef, do not turn and sear until one side is brown, turn it over then sear on the other side. Remove from wok then set it aside. Do not overcook, you might want to do it in batches to prevent beef from stewing.
- In the same wok pour the water, dissolving the brown bits. Let it boil then pour the reserved marinade and sugar then reduce to thicken the sauce. Add the onions, cook for 30 seconds then toss in the beef together with the sesame oil.
- Remove from heat then serve.