Bagbet is a dish prepared with cripsy pork cooked with tropical vegetables like okra, string beans, eggplant and bitter gourd served on a sauce infused with tomatoes and fermented fish sauce.
- 1 kg pork belly, whole
- 1 whole garlic, pounded
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 small Asian eggplant, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch string beans, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 300g okra, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- ¼ squash or buttercup, sliced roughly 1 inch
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, edamame or broad beans
- 1 large bitter melon, sliced
- 4 pcs tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ head garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp bagoong monamon
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional, some love this with a hint of sweetness)
- fish sauce or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- Place pork belly in a pot and pour enough water just to cover the meat. Add in salt, ground black pepper, garlic, bay leaves and baking powder. Bring it to a boil, remove the scum then simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from pot then let it cool.
- Once cooled down, place in the refrigerator until it gets cold, you need this to achieve a crispy skin. Remove from the fridge then slice pork belly into two to three-inch-thick portions.
- Prepare a deep fryer or large wok filled with oil. Heat oil in high temperature and reduce to low once it’s the oil is near its smoking point. Place pork and deep fry for 10 minutes, once finished remove from fryer and let it cool.
- Once cooled down, place again the refrigerator until it gets cold.
- Now deep fry again the pork belly for the second time for 5 minutes.
- Remove from fryer. let it cool then chop into bite sized pieces.
- In a pan sauté garlic, onion and tomatoes in oil.
- Add squash, okra and lima beans continuously pan frying for 2 minutes, bring the heat to low and cover for 5 minutes
- Add string beans, bitter melon and eggplants pan fry pan fry for additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped bagnet, add water, sugar and bagoong monamon, cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes in medium heat until vegetables are cooked.
- Season with pepper add fish sauce/salt if needed.
Looks really good.