Deep Fried Crispy Tofu
A lot of people don’t like tofu, my wife included, I do sort of understand them since tofu is bland and the texture is quite funny but if its cooked correctly then the chances of liking it would be higher. Today we will not be preparing tofu with some tasty sauce but we will just simply deep fry it, to a very crispy state and serve with a soy ginger dip, inspired by the stinky tofu I saw on one cooking show, which I can’t make at home otherwise the neighbours will complain.
- 2 blocks firm tofu, cut into three sections
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- oil for deep frying
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- Drain your tofu, gently press between two flat chopping blocks to remove excess water. Dry it with paper towel then coat it with cornstarch.
- In medium high heat, add enough oil in the wok for deep frying, add a toothpick and once it stops bubbling then you are ready to cook your tofu.
- Cook tofu in hot oil while occasionally stirring until golden brown. Remove from oil, drain well then place on serving platters.
- Prepare you dip by combining all dip ingredients together in a small dipping sauce bowl, serve with tofu.