Adobo sa Patis
Adobo as most of you know is meat cooked in soy sauce and vinegar, but what if you removed the soy sauce and replace it with patis (fish sauce) will it still taste amazing? Well that is what we are trying to find out today. This recipe is good especially for those who are craving for adobo and find out that they don’t have any Philippine Soy Sauce on their pantry, that last thing you want to do is use a non-Filipino Soy Sauce, trust me it will not taste good, I tried this a lot of times as I lived in places where the Filipino soy sauce is hard to find, nothing beats the real thing. So instead of trying hard to use a different soy sauce, try giving patis a shot, most fish sauces taste similar so you can’t go wrong with this.
- In a large wok sauté garlic in oil using low heat until golden brown. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add chicken and potatoes and fry until brown on all sides.
- Add water, vinegar, fish sauce, peppercorn, bay leaves and sugar then bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Drain the liquid and in heat proof container then continue to cook chicken until dry and starts to fry again. Re-fry on its own oil for 5 minutes.
- Mix diluted cornstarch in the drained liquid then pour the mixture back into the wok.
- Simmer for additional 5 minutes then serve.