Wok Seared Steak & Shrimp
The last time I was in Las Vegas was the first time I tried Panda Express, before I just heard them and see them online, I also had read a lot of copycat recipes on different blogs but that’s about it. Today I will be contributing to those copycat recipes and this one is not a widely published one might be because it’s simple or it is a new menu item, the Wok Seared Steak & Shrimp.
I searched online if I can find a recipe but there was none, I only saw this website from Panda Express and I based my recipe on how they described it plus how it tasted when I tried it back in America. As they described it:
“Premium Angus top sirloin and large succulent shrimp hand-tossed in a hot sizzling wok with potatoes, snap peas, bell peppers, onions and a Chinese-inspired steak sauce.” …
“The limited-time offering is claimed to feature premium ingredients, potatoes and seasonal hand-cut vegetables, such as red bell peppers, sugar snap peas and yellow onions. All ingredients are then wok-tossed in a slightly spicy Chinese-inspired steak sauce.”…
“Panda chefs’ wok-sear each part of the dish to create a mix of caramelisation and charring”…
Sound like there is a lot of information there from the ingredients down to the process. When I tasted it before, I sort of knew how each item were prepared, beef was slightly velveted and cook really fast, the potatoes have this sticky crunch texture most probably from potato or tapioca starch and the vegetables have that light charred flavour. I think the only one I need guessing it that “Chinese-inspired steak sauce.” Sounds good? Yes, and here is how I made it, my own version of Panda Express’ Wok Seared Steak & Shrimp.
- 350 g beef sirloin
- 350 g large prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1 large potatoes, cubed
- 100 g sugar snap peas
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- ⅓ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- In a bowl combine all sauce ingredients, mix well then set aside.
- In a bowl combine Beef Marinade ingredients together, add the beef and toss to coat beef pieces evenly. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine all potato coating ingredients together then toss in the potatoes. Set it aside.
- Heat up your wok to the highest possible setting, add small amount of oil just to cover the surface of the whole wok. Let it smoke then add the beef pieces and sear on very high heat for 1 to 2 minutes charring both sides. Remove from wok then set aside.
- Add more oil, put heat to medium high then add the potatoes. Stir fry until golden brown on the edges, remove from wok then set it aside.
- Remove all but one tablespoon of oil in the wok. Put back the heat on its highest setting then stir fry red capsicum, red onion and ginger paste for a minute.
- Add the sugar snap peas then continue to stir fry for 30 seconds
- Add back the beef and potatoes, together with the prawn. Stir fry for a minute.
- Pour the prepared sauce, let it boil, stir fry to combine and cook for a minute. Remove from wot then serve while hot.