- 500 g chicken knees
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for deep frying
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- In a container that you can cover mix together flour, cornstarch and white pepper.
- In a bowl combine all chicken ingredients apart from the oil. Mix it well.
- Put oil on wok, fill it up enough for deep frying then heat to 180C.
- While oil is heating, place chicken knees, one piece at a time in the container filled with the flour mixture. Do not over crowd and do it in just one layer. Cover the container then mix it but shaking it up, until chicken is well covered.
- Set chicken aside, do it with the remaining uncoated chicken.
- Deep fry chicken pieces, dropping them one by one into the hot oil, cook for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and golden in colour. Remove from wok, drain of excess oil then serve.