Kare Kareng Bulalo or Bulalong Kare Kare is a dish of meaty beef leg bones called “bulalo” cooked with peanut butter and toasted rice flour in sauce that is somewhere between a soup and gravy consistency, like Kare Kare it is served with vegetables like eggplant and snake beans.
- 2 sections large meaty beef leg bones,
- 3 pcs 3-inch cut beef shanks
- 300 g beef tendons
- 1 cup unsalted peanut butter
- 1/3 cup ground toasted rice
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- bagoong (fermented shrimp paste)
- 3 pieces eggplant, sliced
- 1 bundle string beans, sliced
- 1 bunch Baby Bok Choy
- In a large pot place the beef bones, beef shanks and tendons, pour boiling water until it covers everything. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse the meat to remove any scum then set them all aside. If you are using the same pot clean it before using again.
- In a pot add oil and sauté onion and garlic.
- Add back the beef shanks and tendons then pour enough water to cover the meat, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the shanks then continue to simmer for 1 more hour.
- Turn of the heat then remove all the meat from the pot and leaving all the liquid, set meat aside
- Get one cup of the cooking liquid place it in a small bowl and mix it with the ground toasted rice, mix it well until you get an even consistency. Set this aside
- In the pot with liquid add sugar, peanut butter and ground toasted rice mixture, mix thoroughly until it’s even in consistency. Turn on the heat to medium then let it boil
- Once sauce is boiling, turn heat to low then add the meat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with a dash of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Now cook the vegetables separately by blanching string beans, eggplants and bok choy.
- Pour stew on a deep bowl and add cooked vegetables on the side. Serve with bagoong.