Kakiage is a Japanese dish of pan-fried sliced vegetable with prawns, battered tempura style served with a savoury sweet dip made from dashi.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 200 ml cold water
- 2 tsp cooking sake
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, sliced
- 15 pcs large shrimps, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp potato stacrch, to dust
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- oil, for deep frying
- Heat up a wok with enough oil for pan frying.
- Prepare your dipping sauce by mixing all dipping sauce ingredients together. Set it aside.
- Prepare you batter by combining all batter ingredients together, no need to mix thoroughly lumpy is better. set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine all Kakiage ingredients together apart from the oil for deep frying. Combine the vegetables with the batter, do not mix thoroughly.
- Get a scoopful of the vegetables then place in the preheated wok. Fry until crispy and cooked, do it with the remaining batter and do not over crowd the wok.
- Place in a paper towel lined plates to get rid of excess oil then serve with the dipping sauce.