Pasta e Fagioli is an Italian pasta soup dish prepared with cannellini or borlotti beans, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, pancetta and small pasta.
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni pasta
- 2 400g can cannellini beans
- 1 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 200 g pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- olive oil
- sea salt
- grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place pot on stove top, heat olive oil then brown the pancetta/bacon.
- Add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf, sauté until the vegetables start to sweat.
- Bring heat to high then pour the chicken stock, water and chopped tomatoes bring to a boil then add the macaroni.
- Turn heat to medium low then cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans then continue to cook for 3 minutes, remove the stems from rosemary and thyme then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Turn heat off then serve with grated Parmesan cheese.