Chorizo, Pork Belly and Chickpea Casserole is a dish of Chorizo, Pork Belly and Chickpeas prepared in a casserole with herbs and spices like fennel seeds, onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and tomatoes.
- 900 g pork belly, cubed
- 200 g chorizo, sliced
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 400 g can chopped tomato
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
- Place Dutch Oven on top of a stove top, add olive oil then brown pork belly on all sides. Remove the pork then set it aside.
- Add the chorizo and let it cook for a minute.
- Add the carrots, onions, garlic, fennel seeds, chilli flakes and paprika, sauté in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, brown sugar and red wine vinegar, cook in high heat for a minute then pour the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir in the pork, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then mix evenly to coat the pork with the sauce, cover your Dutch oven then place in a 160C preheated oven and cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Mix gently and check liquid level occasionally, add water as needed.
- Stir in the chick peas, return to the oven then continue to cook for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir in some chopped parsley then serve.