Chorizo, Pork Belly and Chickpea Casserole
Our dish for today was quite an impromptu one as it was Friday and our pantry was running low, we usually go for grocery on Saturdays. Luckily, I have some ingredients that I know can make a really good dish and most of it was mostly common pantry items, a dish with a Spanish flair. I love those flavours, maybe because the Filipino cuisine is influenced heavily by the Spanish so today we will be making some Chorizo, Pork Belly and Chickpeas which is prepared together in a casserole with herbs and spices like fennel seeds, onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and tomatoes, a simple dish to make yet the flavours are amazing.
Onions, tomatoes and garlic are such a wonderful yet simple flavours to impart to any dish then add some additional Spanish flavours like Chorizo and paprika then it will be a sure-fire winner like our dish today.
- 900 g pork belly, cubed
- 200 g chorizo, sliced
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 400 g can chopped tomato
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
- Place Dutch Oven on top of a stove top, add olive oil then brown pork belly on all sides. Remove the pork then set it aside.
- Add the chorizo and let it cook for a minute.
- Add the carrots, onions, garlic, fennel seeds, chilli flakes and paprika, sauté in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, brown sugar and red wine vinegar, cook in high heat for a minute then pour the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir in the pork, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then mix evenly to coat the pork with the sauce, cover your Dutch oven then place in a 160C preheated oven and cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Mix gently and check liquid level occasionally, add water as needed.
- Stir in the chick peas, return to the oven then continue to cook for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir in some chopped parsley then serve.