Sourdough bread is basically made by the fermentation of dough using naturally occurring lactobacilli and yeast coming from the surrounding environment.
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 6 cups high grade wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 cup cold water
- In a bowl using a wooden spoon combine starter water and half of the high-grade flour.
- Add salt the slowly add the remaining flour 1/2 a cup at a time, once it can’t be mixed with the wooden spoon start using your hands to mix it in, continue to add the flour until it begins to resemble as a dough.
- Shape the dough into two or three large oval shapes loaves then place in a baking tray in a warm place covered with a damp towel. Set it aside for 12 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
- Add some slits on the dough surface then place it on a cold oven (not preheated) then turn the temperature setting to 180C then bake for 50-60 minutes or until the surface turns golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven then let it cool for at least 30 minutes prior to serving.