If you love congee, goto or arrozcaldo then this is a no brainer for you, an Indonesian Style chicken congee infused with Indonesian spices. Like most congee dishes it all start with rice and some good chicken stock then additional ingredients are infused to create a concoction unique to the region. Chopped spring onions, crispy fried shallots, celery, preserved salted vegetables (tongcai), Chinese crullers (cakwe), Sweet Soy Sauce (kicap manis) and Indonesian-style crackers (kerupuk) are the favourite ingredients this is then served with sambal or chili paste on the side.
A favourite breakfast food in Indonesia it can be found everywhere, street vendors, fast food establishments like McDonalds and even upscale restaurants serve it. Bubur ayam on its most basic form uses chicken meat but good ones serve it with offal like liver, gizzard, intestines and premature chicken eggs called uritan.
Today we will be making one at home since finding a hawker stall here that sells them is nearly impossible the next best thing to do it to prepare it at home. A relatively easy dish to make that is really good way to start your day.
- In a pot add a small amount of oil then add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Pour chicken stock and add the rice then bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the flaked chicken thigh into the pot then continue to cook for 5 more minutes, add water if necessary, according to your preference
- Season with fish sauce and ground white pepper.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with spring onions and crispy fried shallots. In a small sauce bowl combine kecap manis and birds eye chillies then serve it as a condiment