Italian Wedding Soup is a dish prepared with vegetables and meat; for vegetables the one mainly used are spinach, endive, escarole, kale and/or lettuce; for meat it is usually meatballs and/or sausages.
- 250 g minced pork
- 250 g minced beef
- 250 g Italian style pork sausages, removed in casings
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley leaves, chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 300 g baby spinach
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 litre good chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 large white onion, minced
- grated Parmesan, to garnish
- In a large bowl mix together all meatball ingredients by hand. Form into meatballs then set aside.
- Prepare a large pan, heat small amount of olive oil then shallow fry meatballs just until they are light brown on all sides. Set it aside.
- Using the olive oil in the pan, pour this into a soup pot. Add the onions, celery and carrots, sauté for 3 minutes until the vegetables sweat.
- Pour the white wine then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil then add the meatballs, simmer in low heat for 10 minutes then add the orzo, continue to cook for 8 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Add the spinach, season with salt then give it a mix then turn heat off.
- Serve in bowl topped with a generous serving of Parmesan cheese.