Pho Bo with Oxtail and Tendons
Pho usually is prepared by meticulously simmering beef bones for a long time using like backbones and oxtails with some Asian spices and aromatics, then served with thin slices of raw beef. We barely see Pho served with the very bones it was made of, not that I am 100% sure of that but in my own experience I haven’t seen one yet. It’s sad for me to see that because the meat on these bones are very tasty and have a nice texture on it hence we will feature a different Pho today, I will be serving it with the oxtails used in making its soup and to add more flavour and richness we will ask drop in some tendons to give it some oomph.
It may be time consuming to make this but apart from waiting this is quite easy to prepare, just be patient and you will definitely reap the rewards.
- 2 kg oxtails, cut into sections
- 500 g beef tendons, sliced into bite sized sections
- 1 thumb sized ginger, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 5 pcs star anise
- 2 pcs whole cloves
- 1 pc cinnamon stick
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black pepper
- pinch of fennel seeds
- fish sauce, adjusted according to taste
- Place onion and ginger in a greased grill then grill until it browns on all side. Set this aside
- In a pot combine together oxtail, tendons and boiling water, boil for 15 minutes then drain. Removing any impurities.
- Put back oxtail and tendons in the pot fill it with water enough to cover everything, bring it to a boil.
- In a muslin cloth combine together gilled ginger, grilled onions, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, black pepper and fennel seeds, make sure it’s tied properly so spices won’t go out. Place this on the pot
- Add the spices on the muslin cloth on the pot and simmer the stock for 2 hours. Remove oxtails then set them aside. Continue to simmer for 2 more hours.
- Season with fish sauce then continue to simmer until ready.
- Cook rice noodles according to packet instructions. Once cooked set it aside.
- Place bean sprouts and lemon on a serving dish.
- Place cooked noodles, one or two oxtails, some tendons, onion slices, spring onions, coriander and deep-fried shallots on a bowl.
- Pour the hot broth on the bowl then serve immediately together with bean sprouts, lemon, fish sauce, hoisin sauce and chillies.