Hi-Bol from the word “High Voltage”, this dish will definitely shock your taste buds, sour and bitter soup best served really hot with chillies. This Ilocano dish is basically a version of pinapaitian served with pancit lusay, a dish that even though uses unused food trimmings it is still delicious. Pinapaitan as all we know is made out of offal and lusay is actually the excess ends of fresh noodles which means their cut, shape and length may varies.
This dish is looks like your typical mami but if you look closer it has that green tint colour of the ubiquitous papaitan, this is because of the bile used on the dish but in the case of our post today we are using a flavouring mix sa bile here in New Zealand is never sold at the butcher shops.
Its already good on its own but its best enjoyed with Sukang Iloco and birds eye chillies. Would you dare to eat something like this?
- 350 g ox tripe, cleaned, cooked and sliced into small pieces
- 500 g lusay or fresh cooked yellow noodles
- 200 g beef heart, sliced into small pieces
- 200 g beef tendon, sliced into small pieces
- 250 g beef brisket, sliced into small pieces
- 1 big packet pinapaitan mix
- 1.5 litres beef stock
- 2 tbsp sukang Iloco
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1 thumb size ginger, crushed and sliced finely
- 2 medium size red onion, chopped
- 6 green finger chillies (siling haba)
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced for garnishing
- 6 boiled eggs, cut in half
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot sauté garlic, ginger and onion in oil.
- Add all meat ingredients, bring heat to really high, stir fry for 5 minutes until some brown colour appear on the meat.
- Add beef stock and chillies (do not slice). Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until meat is tender
- Add papaitan mix and sukang Iloco then simmer for additional 10 minutes
- Season with fish sauce (according to your taste) and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide cooked noodles in 6 bowls, pour hot broth with meat, top with spring onions then place two egg halves on top. Serve.