Tostada is a Mexican dish made with a toasted or deep-fried corn tortilla that is flat or bowl in share where it can be eaten alone or filled with other dishes like menudo, pozole and chilli.
- 12 pcs corn tortillas
- oil, for frying
- 2 400 g can red kidney or pinto beans, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- juiced from 1/2 lime
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
- 1/2 cup water or chicken stock
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 200 g Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños, sliced
- A handful of coriander, chopped
- Heat a good amount of oil in a flat pan, once it’s hot enough pan fry corn tortillas until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from pan, drain excess oil then season with salt. Set it aside.
- In a pan add the bacon drippings, sauté garlic in low heat.
- Add the kidney or pinto beans, cumin and chilli powder. Mash the beans as you cook, if you want to make it thinner then add a bit water or chicken stock. Once it’s all heated up and mashed add lime juice, mix it well then set it aside.
- Prepare tortillas, on each tortilla place a large spoonful of the refried beans then top it with lettuce, tomatoes, avocadoes, cheese, jalapenos and coriander. Do not load with toppings to its easy to handle, serve.