At last I had a chance again to taste the food prepared by one of my great mentors in the subject of cooking, my Mama Fe (my Aunt who took care of me when I was young). On our short visit to the Philippines during the last days of our stay my Auntie Fe had a chance to catch up with us, one morning she visited us at my Moms vacation unit and brought over some prepared ingredients for her to cook where she brought some Kare Kare, kakanin and this Dynamite Lumpia. Dynamite lumpia is a type of deep fried spring roll pastry filled with cream cheese stuffed green finger chillies, sometimes it is breaded, filled with other ingredients such as minced/sliced pork, beef and/or chicken.
I wanted to make this for a long time but was not able to at home as it might be so spicy for my wife and daughter hence I never attempted but this time it was served to me by the person where I first learned how to cook. It was quite an early lunch for us where she served freshy cooked food at 10:00 AM in the morning, we just woke up as we came from another catch up with friends and we went home 3:00 AM early in the morning. She served a great hangover food, deep fried, cheese and chillies can it be better than that, match it with some Kare Kare then you call that breakfast for the champions.
It’s such so warming to taste her food again, this is where I got my flavour profile, the taste is so at home to me. I did ate a lot and even convinced my wife to try them. She did have a bite and was able to tolerate it, I guess I will try to make a version which is less hot by scraping the insides to the chillies leaving the flavour but minimizing the hotness. So happy with this meal, it was more than 15 years since I tried her cooking, in fact the photo and recipe here is the image of what she prepared that day.
- 12 pcs spring roll wrapper
- 12 pcs large finger chillies, cut in halves and insides scraped
- 12 strips soft cheddar cheese (like Kraft Eden or Colby)
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- Combine mayonnaise and ketchup together then set aside.
- Place 1 strip of cheese in between the halved finger chilli, wrap with spring roll wrapper and seal tightly. Do it with the rest.
- Prepare a deep fryer, heat oil at 180C.
- Deep fry dynamite lumpia until golden brown.
- Remove from fryer, drain, keep it cool then serve with the mayonnaise and ketchup dip.