Saba con Yelo or what other call Saging con Hielo is a simple dessert of sweetened banana in brown sugar syrup served on a bed of crushed ice with milk. It’s a popular dessert drink in the Philippines usually found on carinderias that sell iced drinks, like Halo Halo, Mais con Yelo and Sago Gulaman.
- Pour a tablespoon of sugar in a saucepan, turn on heat and cook until sugar melts and partly burns (the slightly burnt taste gives an extra flavour but do not burn it too much, it will taste bad).
- Pour the water then let it boil. Once boiling add the remaining sugar and salt, let the sugar dissolve in medium heat then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the bananas then cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until saba is tender but still firm.
- Remove from heat, let it cool overnight
- Prepare a deep bowl or a large glass, fill it up with ice then top it with sweetened bananas, its syrup and drizzle some evaporated milk. Serve.