I have a childhood friend where he has four siblings of which all of them were allergic to chicken and dishwashing liquid, he was the only male and imagine what he has to undergo at their household, no fried chicken and he has to do the dishwashing always. I still remember those days when we dine out with him he always requests for chicken hence as teenagers it will always be at KFC or Jollibee. So how does that relate to our recipe today? well this dish, Minanok is perfect to those who are in the same scenario as this dish is basically a chicken recipe called tinola but it uses beef, in fact I might have tried this first at their house.
Name specially for the Filipinos is quite misleading at it means something to do with chicken but like I said its main ingredient is beef. Minaok is a soup dish from the Quezon Province, like tinolang manok it is prepared by sautéing garlic, onions and ginger, lightly browning the beef then simmered slowly until very tender. It is also served with vegetables used in tinola and seasoned with fish sauce. Unlike nilaga where it is only boiled with onions and definitely not sautéed.
So, if you like tinola but for some reason got tired of eating chicken then this is the best dish for you. Trust me it may look simple but it is so flavourful, definitely comforting and perfect to have on a cold rainy day.
- 1½ kg beef ribs
- 2 large potato, cut into cubes
- 1 large bunch mustard leaves
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season beef ribs with salt.
- In a soup pot heat oil then lightly brown beef ribs, remove from the pot then set aside.
- Using the same pot sauté garlic, onions and ginger.
- Add the beef ribs back then pour enough water just to barely cover the meat. Bring to a boil then simmer in low heat then cook for 1½ hours or until beef is tender.
- Add the potatoes then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and lots of freshly ground black pepper, add the mustard leaves and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Turn heat off then serve.