Braised Beef Brisket with Daikon
There are many variations of this Chinese Braised beef and it is popular in any Chinese restaurants that you will encounter, if there is one comfort meal to define this cuisine then this is it. Slowly summered beef brisket in a combination of Asian sauces like Hoisin Sauce, Oyster Sauce and Fish Sauce infused with spices such as garlic, ginger, five spice and citrus rinds you will be sure that the flavours that develop as this dish braise will be amazing.
Usually topped on rice with a drizzle of sesame oil and spring onions, I bet one bowl is not enough once you start to like it. It may be complicated as the list of ingredients are long but like any stews or braised dishes, you just dump in the ingredients and just have the patience as you smell the wonderful aroma as it cooks.
- 800 g Beef Brisket, Stewing Beef or Chuck Steak, cubed
- 1 pc medium daikon radish, sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- ½ cup Chinese Cooking Wine
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1 tsp lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 tsp orange rind, finely grated
- ½ thumb sized ginger, sliced thinly
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsp Peanut Oil
- 3 stalks spring onions, chopped
- On a wok add peanut oil, bring the heat to high then brown the beef on all sides
- Add ginger and garlic and stir fry with beef.
- Add Chinese Wine, Water and Beef Stock bring to a boil.
- Add Fish Sauce, Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Sugar, Five Spice, Lemon Rind and Orange Rind.
- Cover the wok and simmer for 45 minutes on low heat, add water if necessary
- Add daikon radish and sesame oil simmer for additional 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Serve on steaming hot rice and top with spring onions.