Niku Udon is a simple Japanese noodle soup dish made with udon noodles served on a rich dashi stock made with dried bonito flakes and kombu then topped with thin slices of seasoned beef.
- 1 litre water
- 1 large piece of kombu, roughly 15 grams
- 1 1/2 cups packed bonito flakes (katsuobushi)
- 1/2 cup Japanese soy sauce (Yamasa)
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 500 g dried udon noodles
- 300 g fatty beef steak, thinly sliced or sukiyaki beef
- 2 tbsp Japanese soy sauce (Yamasa)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- shichimi togarashi
- Pour water into a soup pot then soak the kombu for 20 minutes.
- Place on a stove top on high heat then bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling remove the kombu.
- Add the bonito flakes, simmer for 10 minutes. Using a fine mesh sieve, strain the liquid and discard any solids.
- Pour the strained liquid on another pot the add the soy sauce and mirin, bring it to a boil then simmer.
- In a pan add small amount of oil the cook the beef slices, add the two tablespoons of soy sauce and sugar then set it aside.
- Prepare udon noodles according to packet instructions. Once cooked divide into 4 different bowls.
- Pour hot soup then top with cooked beef slices and spring onion then serve.