Ginisang Ampalaya at Itlog is a Filipino dish of stir fried bitter gourd, tomatoes and egg usually served as breakfast or as a side dish. Simple vegetable recipes like this are a comfort meal to a majority of the Filipinos who are out of their teenager years.
- 1 pc large bitter melon, thinly sliced
- 2 pcs tomatoes, sliced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup pork mince
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Generously coat bitter melon with salt to drain out its liquid, set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse with running warm water then drain.
- Using a heavy paper towel pat dry the bitter melon of excess moisture.
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add pork then cook for 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes then cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Add the bitter melon and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the eggs and let it partially cook. Toss and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.