Broccolini Mushroom Stir Fry
Broccolini Mushroom Stir Fry is a simple dish of stir fried broccolini and shiitake mushrooms in garlic and shallots seasoned with soy sauce, it may sound simple but this packs a lot of flavour, from the nutty broccolini, earthy shiitake and savoury soy sauce it has the most important taste covered, the umami. It’s great as a side dish to any meaty dishes and also great on its own, the broccolini alone is enough to fill that hunger.
I love Broccolini, it’s like a cross between broccoli and gailan, it’s the best of both worlds where you can enjoy the broccoli and the nutty fibrous stems of the gailan. It’s a great replacement where it uses either of the vegetables, how about you where would you think you will use this vegetable?
- Blanch broccolini in boiling water for 2 minutes, remove from pot then put it in a cold bath. Set broccolini aside.
- In a wok heat peanut oil then sauté garlic, shallots and spring onions.
- Add shiitake mushrooms then continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chillies then continue to sauté for a minute.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and water then the broccolini, toss to coat.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt then drizzle sesame oil on top. Turn off heat then serve.