Smothered Cabbage with Bacon is a simple dish of chopped cabbage cooked with bacon and Creole seasoning, it is a New Orleans tradition where it is eaten together with black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day as it is supposed to bring good luck for the whole year.
- In a large skillet heat olive over medium heat, add bacon then fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove bacon from pan leaving the oil, set it aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery then sauté for two minutes.
- Add the capsicum then continue to sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes, cabbage and chicken stock then mix it well, cook cabbage for 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is really tender, add the apple cider vinegar then toss back the bacon.
- Remove from heat then serve.