Oxtail Ragu is an Italian dish of slowly braised ox tails until the meat falls of its bones on a rich tomato sauce, herbs and spices usually served with pasta, crusty bread, potatoes or even rice.
- 6–8 pcs large oxtail sections
- 1/2 cup chopped guanciale or bacon
- 2 cups red wine (Shiraz, Cabernet or Merlot)
- 2 400g cans Italian style chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- handful of chopped basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- cooked pasta
- Season your oxtails with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy pot add heat olive oil then brown oxtail pieces. Remove oxtails from the pot then set aside.
- Add the guanciale, celery, carrot, onion and garlic, sauté in low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the oxtails back, pour the red wine then simmer in high heat until red wine is reduced by half.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, beef stock, basil and oregano then simmer in low heat for 2 to 2.5 hours or until meat is fork tender, checking once in a while for the liquid levels, if it becomes too thick to your preference add a bit of water.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve on top of freshly cooked pasta.