Nearly 2 years ago I posted an article about the many varieties of Adobo, I thought I would not discover any other adobo dish anymore but I was wrong in fact there are a lot more to discover and our post today is one of them. Adobong Tarlac is a type of adobo popular in Tarlac, cooked with the usual ingredients plus pineapple juice and pineapples. I never had cooked adobo this way until now, and I was surprised, that small ingredient addition gives this dish a really nice taste, making it more pleasant.
I take pride in my adobo and I guess that is true as well for most Filipinos as everyone created their own ways of making this dish even better and more accustomed to their taste buds, I guess after knowing this version I will add this technique to my secret ingredients so I can improve more on what is already great for me. How about you do you have a special adobo recipe that you can share?
- 500 g Pork belly, cubed
- 600 g chicken legs
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 cups cubed pineapples (fresh or canned)
- ½ cup cane vinegar
- ½ cup soy sauce (Philippine Soy Sauce not the Chinese Soy Sauce, they taste differently if you can’t find one you can use Kikkoman)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- bay leaves
- whole pepper corns
- Marinate pork and chicken in pineapple juice for at least 2 hours but not more than 6 hours. Set aside.
- In a pot sauté garlic in oil using low heat until golden brown. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Drain meats setting aside the marinating juice.
- Add pork belly and fry until browning occurs. Remove then set aside.
- Add chicken and fry until browning occurs. Remove then set aside.
- Place the pork back into the pot, add ½ cup water, ½ cup vinegar, ½ cup soy sauce, the marinating liquid, 2 tbsp peppercorn, 4 bay leaves and 1 tbsp sugar then bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes or until pork is tender. Add the chicken nibbles and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Drain the liquid and in a separate frying pan add oil and fry the drained meat in high heat browning the sides.
- Mix 1 tsp cornstarch in the cool drained liquid then pour the mixture in the pan together with the cubed pineapples.
- Simmer for additional 5 minutes then serve.